Services Smart Growth
IBTS is jointly governed by representatives appointed by the National Governors' Association (NGA Center), the Council of State Governments (CSG), the National Association of Counties (NACo), the National League of Cities (NLC), and the International City/County Management Association (ICMA). Working collaboratively with these important organizations, IBTS has a unique ability to effectively reach out to a variety of constituents who should be involved in the smart growth discourse.
Smart growth is policy making that seeks to remedy inefficient sprawl by advancing alternate patterns of growth. Smart Growth policies promote the creation of transit-oriented, walkable, diverse, mixed-use neighborhoods that offer transportation choice and a wide range of housing opportunities, while preserving open space and critical environmental areas.
Sustainability is a concept borrowed from human ecology that asserts the need for a long-term, harmonious relationship between human beings and the natural systems that they rely upon. In relation to urban planning and land use policy, sustainability refers to development that is grounded in principles of environmental stewardship, long-term economic vitality, social equity, and resource conservation.
To participate in community, state and Federal Smart Growth/Sustainable Design Programs, projects and policy development by providing technical expertise for consideration to those developing and performing smart growth and sustainable community services. IBTS services in smart growth and sustainability include planning and government program services, energy and environment support, design and construction assessment/compliance plan/peer reviews and field inspections for homes nationwide. We enjoy a superior reputation for timely, accurate reporting and a unique "team approach" to independent third party oversight.
Focus: Facilitation, Management, Administration, and Regulatory/Program Oversight.
IBTS has the capacity to assist the public and government to:
- Facilitate vision realization.
- Achieve a sense of community and place - "neighborhood".
- Expand the range of transportation options, employment and housing choices in a given area.
- Equitably distribute the costs and benefits of development to lessen economic barriers and impacts.
- Preserve and enhance natural and cultural resources.
- Reduce energy and utility costs, dependence and consumption.
- Promote public health and safety.
- Enhance growth and sustainability.
- Work to ensure a better tomorrow.
- Provide training to expand personnel resources nationwide.
- Professional Architects, Engineers and Planners.
- EnergySTAR Partner performing HERS ratings and certification.
- Design reviews and inspections.
- LEED for new construction, and other green building program verification.
- Performance testing and diagnostics.
- Regulatory specialists.
Auditing and Commissioning
- Energy audits
- Quality audits and oversight services
- Environmental assessment and compliance
- Measurement, verification support, and project commissioning
Categorized Services and Deliverables
For more information, contact Howard Weissman.