July 29, 2010 – Jonesville, LA: The Town of Jonesville, Louisiana has signed an agreement enabling the Louisiana Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS) to provide the following Building Code Department services:
- Function as the Building Official for the Town.
- Assist citizens with questions and the permitting process.
- Perform plan reviews on all residential and commercial structures.
- Conduct structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and energy inspections on all residential and commercial structures.
- Review and revise all building code department ordinances as necessary, to ensure they are compliant with state requirements.
- Approve all permits for issuance by the Town.
- Approve all Certificates of Occupancy for issuance by the Town.
- Implement Building Code Department software for tracking.
- Ensure that all National Flood Insurance Program requirements are blended and complied with during the Plan Review process.
- Review third party provider (TPP) plan reviews and inspections for compliance.
- Compile and archive all the necessary documentation.
- Implement an electronic drawing review and approval process.
- Perform electronic data backup.
Due to the State-mandated construction codes, the Town of Jonesville needed to have a Certified Building Official to implement a Building Code Department that would track all permits, applications, conduct plan reviews and inspections, and authorize Certificates of Occupancy for the town. IBTS was chosen based upon our quick response time and understanding of not only how the Building Code Department works, but how other departments integrate and how other federal, state and local ordinances and regulations are interwoven.
IBTS is delivering Building Code Department services in addition to flood plain management services. The Town of Jonesville also signed a contract with IBTS for flood plain management services and realized the most efficient process of mitigating their NFIP Program was to combine it with the Building Code Department services Jonesville needed. When IBTS combines these two services, Jonesville will have a “one-stop-shop” that can handle all of these services at one time, during the plan review process.
IBTS has appointed Greg Blount, Louisiana Branch Manager, and Larry Walters, Louisiana IBTS Building Official, to function as the primary staff for this project. Mr. Walters will act as the Certified Building Official for the project, while Mr. Blount will be responsible for policy, client satisfaction and overall management of the contract.