December 15, 2010 – Coushatta, LA: The Town of Coushatta, Louisiana has signed an agreement enabling the Louisiana Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS) to provide the following Property Maintenance Services:
- Functioning as the Building Official for the town.
- Assessing structures and properties for safety.
- Writing a local property maintenance ordinance.
- Developing public outreach bulletins and documentation.
- Coordinating police and fire departments on reports.
- Implementing property maintenance software for tracking.
- Performing as an expert witness.
- Inspecting properties and work to resolve nuisance issues.
- Providing monthly reports to the Town Council.
- Maintaining a transparent system for accountability.
Coushatta had been reviewing and contemplating a sustainable solution to property maintenance in the town. Many homes and properties have been neglected, or worse yet, abandoned, and the town wanted these areas cleaned up. The Haynesville Shale discovery is providing numerous opportunities for growth, and Coushatta wants to have a town that takes pride in their properties so that business and economic growth are attracted to the town.
IBTS will blend Property Maintenance Services with Building Code Services and Flood Plain Services so that a common process is implemented. Integration of all three types of services will allow IBTS to implement a Development Department that will be responsible for all of the structures in the town. Citizens will have one Case Handler that will assist them with their needs, regardless if it’s a new, existing or condemned property. This department integration will also allow the IBTS Building Official an overview of the town’s property conditions so that guidance can be provided in areas of growth and revitalization.
IBTS has appointed Greg Blount, Louisiana Branch Manager, and Dean Runnels, Louisiana IBTS Building Official, to function as the primary staff for this project. Mr. Runnels will act as the Certified Building Official for the project, while Mr. Blount will be responsible for policy, client satisfaction and overall management of the contract.